Friday, September 26, 2008

Can't They Feel it Coming?



One month ago, I was enjoying myself on Kailua Beach with my two sisters. Tammy has an incredible talent for making sand balls. But still, this was one month ago. Why do I mention it? Because I have to cling to memories like this when I have to face the realities of today.

Because today I am not sunning on a beach in Hawaii. Nope, I'm doing the laundry after a night of vomit.

Maddie came into my room last night to tell me, "Mom, I just threw up." Like it wasn't obvious enough by looking at her? My immediate reaction was, "Where?" (I was warm in my bed and didn't feel like getting out) "Please let her say 'toilet'" I thought.

"In my bed," was her response. This was Maddie, of course it wasn't in the toilet. She is nine and I don't remember her ever making it to the toilet. "Ughhh," I groaned. I looked a little more closely at her. She had barf dripping down her legs. I got up and directed her to the tub. Steve said he would go upstairs to clean it up.

I followed him up. It was disgusting. The remnants of the School Carnival/Fundraiser was all over her bed. Like I needed another reason to hate the school carnival? Cleaned it all up, while fuming. I just can't understand why a nine-year-old can't make it to the toilet. It's not like you don't feel it coming. And the bathroom is three feet away from her room. Why did she come downstairs dripping in vomit rather than hop in the shower next to her?

Lucky for Maddie, Steve is much nicer than I. He cleaned up while saying, "Poor Maddie."

So now, I'm blogging instead of swimming my laps. I'm still waiting for Maddie to wake up. And apparently, I'm still dreaming of going back to Hawaii.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Poo and vomit. Two classics that never get old. Next I expect you to blog about some bloody mess or maybe a bad rash.

Jenni said...

Still sounds like you're trying to convince me not to have kids. . .

cara said...

Your gross mom! Cara