Sunday, May 2, 2010

Leah Hope Sabin



Leah Hope Sabin was born on April 27. She missed Sam's birthday by two hours. We celebrated Sam's birthday at Texas Roadhouse and I was having labor pains by the time the waiter brought me my meal. Needless to say, I didn't eat it all. My Mom and niece, Becca were making the drive from California. They got to our house around 10:00. After an hour, I decided maybe it was time to go to the hospital.

We left at about 11:20, I know, because I was timing contractions. Cara and Maddie were peeking out the window as we left. Two sisters too excited to sleep. I only had one contraction on the half hour drive to the hospital. When we got to the parking lot, I told Steve, maybe we should go back home. But then we decided we were there and we might as well go in. I guess that is a good thing because they got me in a bed at about 12:00. I was already at a six. They asked me if I wanted the epidural. What kind of question is that? Of course I wanted it. So they called in the anesthesiologist and Steve called my Mom to tell her she might want to come.

Leah was born at 2:06am. She weighed 7 pounds, nine ounces. She has lots of black hair. The volunteers in the nursery were so excited to do it. When she came back from her first bath, she had bangs, a faux hawk and a bow. Many have commented on her hair, but it should be noted that all of my children have come sporting dark hair at birth, although Leah's may just be the longest. Only George escaped with light brown hair that quickly turned blonde.

Now for the big question, how are we all handling it? Well, I must say, I have forgotten some things, but almost everything has come back. The other night, she woke up crying and I woke up trying to think which one of the boys was awake (I had forgotten I had her). Steve has been very good to help out with everything. He can change a diaper quickly and is good to help me in the middle of the night. Cara thinks every thing she does is adorable and one tiny squawk means the world is ending. She volunteered to keep her in her room at night (she was mortified when she heard that I had forgotten I had a baby) and tend to her needs. I'm not sure she realized that Leah gets hungry in the night.  Sam thinks she is so funny and can't handle any cry. He tries to decipher what each cry means. Maddie can juggle holding her and answering the door at the same time. George thinks she is so cute. 
And what does Max think? Max has declared that indeed, the baby is number one. But that is not all he has done. He has decided there are other sources to vent his frustration on. He is catching on that indeed, the baby is taking up my time. He wanted me to play a game with him. I said, "After I feed the baby." He said, "Ugh, but that will take forever." Today, Steve took him to church. Our public polite Max decided it was time to take his home Max antics out. He turned the church lights on and off. He laid on the floor kicking and screaming. He has been attacking his brothers. And there have been a lot of no's from him. But other than that, Max has adjusted quite nicely. He is forcing Grandma to play games with him all day. I think we all enjoy his 2 1/2 hours of preschool three times a week.


6 comments:

Jenni said...

Congrats. I'm glad the adjustments are going well. I'm wondering if Heavenly Father wanted you to have this baby just so Max can learn that the world does not revolve around him.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! Can't wait to see her. I hope I can get rid of children and come alone to see and hold her. You are such an amazing woman, good job!!! I'm sure you will be thrilled to know that our cow had it's calf the same day....but I'm sure that is where the similarities end.

6 cute kids said...

Congratulations! You just had to make it to tuesday right? She is beautiful! Hopefully it all comes back to you quickly!

Ella said...

Man, she is a cutie!!

mommyoffour said...

congratulations Steve and Sharon! The other day, I was asking Jared is the baby had come and he had no clue. So, it was so good to see your post to know that she arrived safe and sound.

She is absolutely beautiful! I'm glad everyone is doing well!

Tammy said...

congratulations! What a cutie. She looks just like Maddie. Wow! Guess you'll get back in the swing of things quickly. No choice really. Hopefully Max will mellow but I'm not holding my breath.