Sunday, May 24, 2009

San Antonio for Better or Worse



I just recently returned from a trip to San Antonio with my three sisters pictured in this photo, Tracy, Jenni, and Gaylene.

The first photo is a picture of what Steve got to deal with while I was gone.

It basically went something like this: I had a great time with my sisters, and when Steve picked me up from the airport his first words were, "It's so good to have you back."

I left on a Friday morning. Steve dropped me off at the airport and went back home to work from home. He had Max with him. The others were at school. My friend called Steve a couple of hours later to see if he needed her to give the kids a ride to the primary activity on Saturday. She could hear kids screaming in the background. She asked if he needed help. He said, "No, I got it all under control." She said, "I can hear the kids screaming." He said, "They're fine." Apparently, Steve didn't get Max the TV show he wanted fast enough.

Meanwhile, I was eating some superb food on the Riverwalk.

On Saturday, I visited the Alamo. Tracy and Jenni took about a billion pictures each while Gaylene and I listened to the audio tour. We visited the Mexican Marketplace. Basically, we whiled away our time in chit chat and Mexican food.  

Steve did golf in the morning, but then he came home to all the kids. George complained at night that Steve didn't put them to bed like I did. Steve said, "Fine. You want it like Mom. No soda, no staying up late, no fast food,  and no movie rentals." George quickly said, "No, I'm good."

I got a text on Sunday from Steve, while he was in church. It was so bad he couldn't wait till he got home to send me a text. "I don't want any more kids. At least not like the ones I have."  Too bad I didn't have time to respond as I was sitting by my quiet sisters in church and then off to the botanical gardens.

On Monday, I got a call from the school secretary. She had tried our home number, but no one answered. She said, "Sharon, this is Lynette. We have a problem. Maddie is in my office throwing up." I replied, "Sounds like Steve has a problem. I'll call him on his cell." So I called Steve to inform him that he needed to pick up Maddie because she was sick. Then I promptly took the elevator upstairs to the rooftop pool.

Tuesday ended it all. I had to return home. I walked in the door to find Max bawling because he had just bumped his toe and ecstatic at the sight of me. I can honestly say, I have never seen a child so conflicted with what emotion to display. He cried and smiled with pure joy at the same moment. His joy quickly turned to disappointment when he saw that I only brought him a shirt. He and George cried so hard that I had to pull out the whips I bought at the Mexican market. I bought them as gifts for birthday parties. I thought they would be funny. At least the boys saved an unsuspecting mother, but also deprived one of their friends from a braided whip. 

And because it was early, I put on my apron, stood in front of the stove, and started to make dinner. Steve looked at me and said, "You don't know how good it feels to see you there."



4 comments:

MomandDad said...

There's nothing like going away for a few days to be appreciated by both spouse and children. Glad you were able to go and had such a good time. A mom needs a get away now and again to keep here sanity, and what could be more fun than to be with sisters. Being that I never had a sister, maybe that's why the Lord sent me so many daughters.

Anonymous said...

When do I get to take trips like you? Please dont tell me you have always been such a well traveled lady, and that it has only began since you moved to Lehi? I want to be like you when I grow up or rather when my kids get a little older.

Jenni said...

I pity you the day that Max has to leave the nest and go to school. He will be an emotional basketcase.

cara said...

Seriously Mom, Dad was totally exaggerating at the part where we were SO BAD at church. It was like usual, only he was used to you helping him...